5.25.2016

Dining table and chairs make-over


Can I just tell you how happy with this latest painting project I am!

I have a very small eating area in my new place, so I got rid of the farm house style rectangular table when I moved. I bought a set of table and 4 chairs off Craigs List awhile ago with the intention of painting it, but ended up not liking it as much as I'd wished.  So I sold it and began looking for another set.

I saw the round table on Offer Up for a great price $25, so snatched it up. Bonus? Neither the seller nor I knew at the time I bought it that it had a fold under built in leaf, ha!
I was looking for a particular style of chair. I knew I'd know it when I saw it, lol. Not too big, not too heavy, and a lighter color for painting. I took a chance and went to my nearby Goodwill, and they had them! Just what I wanted! Only they came with a big table which I didn't need. So I bought the set, and donated the table back to them ;) I paid $59 for them.  So my set cost me $84 plus the paint, some of which I had.
Just like when I cook, I can never just follow the recipe. I always tend to mix things/make up things as I go along.

I knew I wanted the table top to have the look of weathered driftwood, so I browsed Pinterest for refinishing ideas. I used Minwax stain in classic grey right over the maple finish after a very light sanding. I gave it 2 coats, wiping off between. Then dry brushing a white chalk paint and wiping to make the wood grain show. Then a light wash of watered down white chalk paint, and wiping again. Then I did a bit of distressing. Finally the top is coated with a white wax and a wipe on poly finish....whew! It's exactly what I envisioned! Woohoo! The beauty of working in layers, is you can just do-over, lol.

For the chairs I also was a rebel and used a combination of supplies. I gave them a coat of white chalk paint first, then used Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint. I gotta admit to mixing several shades together. (with a little teal colored wood stain in there too). Again I did several layers so the chairs would have a pretty multi layered old look. Colors of MMS paint I used were - Eulalies sky, Kitchen Scale and Layla's Mint. Some distressing, then I finished them off with a clear rub on wax.








The bonus is flowers look really nice on the new table top!



You can see more of my furniture make-overs here:

Linking up here:
https://thecuratorscollection.com/2016/05/26/making-broken-beautiful-no-40/
http://www.homestoriesatoz.com/tutorials/tutorials-tips-link-party-262.html

Thanks so much for stopping by......Sylvia Share

3 comments:

  1. Such a sweet makeover! Pinning this to my Before & Afters board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really excited about the way it turned out! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I closed my eyes after reading this blog. What amazing feeling. I wish to experience even 1 time. Thanks for your sharing. More about the author

    ReplyDelete