1.25.2016

Kitchen cabinet chalk paint makeover

chalk painted kitchen cabinets

Here's another installment in my beach condo make-over. I spent the most time in the kitchen because I painted the kitchen cabinets with chalk paint and also glazed them. I wanted them light and white, then after a couple coats of the white I decided I wanted to add some color. Of course it had to be aqua :) I used a glaze for that purpose. I bought the clear glaze product from my local Ace Hardware called "Artistic Finishes" and colored it with some latex paints. Start with just a tiny bit, because you can always go darker. I used an aqua and a tiny bit of black. You paint on the glaze, then wipe off almost immediately. I also lightly distressed and then waxed.

This kitchen has all the original appliances that still work, so I'm not replacing anything until I have too. It's perfectly fine for a vacation getaway :)

Here's the before:

I made my own chalk paint with latex paint and a combination of plaster of paris and calcium carbonate to save money. It worked great! I scoured Pinterest for different recipes and reviews of DIY chalk paint, and this combination was highly praised.

 2 tablespoons of Calcium Carbonate Powder and 2 tablespoons of Plaster of Paris into 2 Tablespoons of water and mixed well. Add it to 2 cups of latex paint in a satin finish and mix until smooth. 

Below was during the painting, after 1st coat of chalk paint and second coat but before glazing. You can see I was lazy and left the cabinet doors on while painting.
chalk painted kitchen cabinets


chalk painted kitchen cabinets

chalk painted kitchen cabinets

chalk painted kitchen cabinets

chalk painted kitchen cabinets


I decided to just do the glaze on the door fronts and not the frame work of the cabinets so it wouldn't be over powering. There were no knobs on the cabinets, so I bought plain wooden knobs and spray painted them and also sprayed the drawer pulls that were bronze.
chalk painted kitchen cabinets

chalk painted kitchen cabinets

chalk painted kitchen cabinets

chalk painted kitchen cabinets
You can see how the turquoise glaze stayed in the edges of the detailing more.
chalk painted kitchen cabinets


chalk painted kitchen cabinets

chalk painted kitchen cabinets

chalk painted kitchen cabinets

And these were the products I used in addition to the latex paint. You can use either a flat or eggshell latex when you make your chalk paint. I bought the plaster of paris at Michaels and the calcium carbonate on Amazon. It goes a long way and it came in a 2 pack!
DIY chalk paint

Time will tell to see how well it holds up in a kitchen, but since this is only a part time place, I'm not too worried. And it's distressed anyway :)
It looks so much more "beachy" to me now!

To see the previous posts on other rooms I redid:
Living room
Bedroom
Guest bedroom

Linking up to:
Home Stories A to Z
Bless'er House
My Romantic Home
French Country Cottage



Thanks so much for stopping by......Sylvia Share

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your makeover at Treasure Hunt Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this Chalk-paint make over. It is nice and inspirational transformation.

    ReplyDelete