9.17.2015

DIY driftwood sailboat #2

 I shared the first rather crude driftwood sailboat I made back last May, and now I've made my second one...Yay! I have lots more supplies just waiting, and all sorts of cute fabric for the sails. I'm afraid I will soon run out of space for them though.

I scan the beach every time I'm out here for pieces that would be good for the base, and for the mast. I prefer the really weathered gray colors, but will take what I can find :)

I drill a hole partially into the wood for the mast to fit in, then use hot glue to secure it more. This time around I had the grommets to use on the sails, so that took a little more time. I bent some stiff wire into a "U" shape and pressed it into the wood of the base and mast so I could tie the twine to it. It really worked out well! That idea is courtesy of my son-in-law :)
I attempted to make this one a little fancier than last time by adding 2 different layers of fabric to the sail, and just sewing with a long running stitch with embroidery thread. I think it turned out pretty cute! What do you think?

DIY driftwood sailboat

DIY driftwood sailboat

DIY driftwood sailboat

DIY driftwood sailboat

DIY driftwood sailboat


DIY driftwood sailboat

DIY driftwood sailboat

DIY driftwood sailboat

DIY driftwood sailboat

DIY driftwood sailboat
 In case you missed the last post on my living room decorating on the cheap, its right HERE.

I'm also linking up for the first time to Starfish Cottage  Inspired designs linky party! It's been a really long time since I've joined in a blog link. But what a fun way to see some great ideas!

McCall Manor
Sharing with Home Stories A to Z

Thanks so much for stopping by......Sylvia Share

3 comments:

  1. This is so stinking cute!!!!!!! And I LOVE all the photography!!!! Amazing job! Stoping by from Your Inspired Design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my! That is just darling and I want a sailboat for my beach house just like that! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! The windowsill is the perfect spot for it! PInning!

    ReplyDelete