1.08.2013

Whimsy

Whimsey, whimsical.....I love that word! Do you?
What is it about that word that is so fun and well...whimsical?
 Here's a few definitions I found:
 ~ full of, actuated by, or exhibiting whims
~ lightly fanciful
~ subject to erratic behavior or unpredictable change
~ spontaneously fanciful or playful
~ quaint, unusual, or fantastic
~ determined by chance or impulse or whim rather than by necessity or reason
~ Given to whimsy; capricious; odd; peculiar; playful; light-hearted or amusing.

 Supposedly the first known use was in 1653.
 Whimsical, my word of the day. One of my favorite things to do with my photography, is to take pictures and combine them to create something fun and whimsical. This sometimes involves first an idea or thought in my head of a vision I want to create. And other times, it's totally random. I may find an image in my files that I took a year ago, and decide to do something with it much later. Here's an example of what I mean.

whimsical balloon photography

These are the 2 images that I used to make this photo, both taken on completely different days.
Another one that I used balloons for:

whimsical balloon photography

whimsical balloon photography
 You might be interested to see how this above image started out. Pretty plain, and lots of random objects in the shot. I had to clone out all those cars, logs, signs, and people on the beach first. Then did texture work and finally the addition of the hot air balloons and the typography.



Why do I take the time to do all this? Well, for me, it's fun and a cool creative outlet. If I were a painter, I would just paint a scene like these above. But I'm not, I'm a photographer. So I create them in my mind, then  my camera, then on my computer in photoshop.
I've had the last 2 prints made for myself, and they look awesome printed up. The hot air balloon one I actually had done as a poster in my  Zazzle shop. Looks amazing. The paper quality is great and the colors and print quality is top notch.

The first image just was added my my Society6 shop yesterday. And if you CLICK ON THIS LINK you can get free shipping on prints and products until Jan 13th, 2013 at midnight PST.

Hope you've enjoyed seeing a little bit of how I create my work. More to come in the future!

Thanks so much for stopping by......Sylvia Share

12 comments:

  1. I love what you've done to these images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun!!! Beautiful transformations!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the word whimsical...it is such a fun word.... it makes you happy just to say it out loud...at least it does me...WHIMSICAL.... I never imagined that there was someone out there that shared my love for one simple word...

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful edits!! especially the first :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Sylvia, I love these!! It's so much fun to be creative with our images - and you sure have nailed whimsical! I think my favorite is "moon and back" - I read that story to our little guy frequently & it's become a "thing" of ours. "Do you know how much I love you? To the SUN and back!" says my 5 yo. Melt my heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your story Karen!! That sounds so sweet! This particular image I created for my daughter. The balloons were taken last Oct at our local Walk for Remembrance in honor of all the miscarriages or preterm births. We released balloons in the sky at the end of the walk. My daughter lost twins at 20 weeks (a boy and a girl) in Oct 2011. At the time of this walk, she was pregnant with her little boy that she just gave birth to 3 weeks ago. One blue balloon for little angel Michael, one pink balloon for little angel Alena, and one blue balloon for our new miracle Cooper.

      Delete
  6. Love these...my fave is the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sylvia, I LOVE your textures! These are definitely a bit of whimsical!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Un trabajo precioso, me encanta!!! Una belleza. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete