5.04.2011

Revisiting the Cinque Terre

I can't believe it's been over 3 years since I had my wonderful trip to Italy. I think about it frequently when I see my photos around the house. Or when I know of people that are traveling there now. Brings back so many great memories, I enjoyed the country so much!
I began my college career as an art major, and I think that was a big stepping stone to appreciating all the antiquities and styles of architecture. But now that I'm old (er), I just love old things period! Living in the PNW gives us very little opportunity to really savor anything really old in the way of buildings. We just don't have a very long history!
I enjoyed ALL of Italy, each area I visited had so many different things to offer.
This post is highlighting on of my favorite places, and that's hard to choose really, because I loved them all. OK, they were all my favorites!
I stayed the longest here in the Cinque Terre, 4 nights. SO I really had alot of time to explore the area.
I stayed in Vernazza, one of the 5 little towns. My room was up on the very top of town, with my window overlooking the ocean. I had to climb up 113 steps just to get there, but it was worth it!! The views were spectacular. And I had a rooftop patio. 
Warning.......lots of pictures coming!



The Cinque Terre consists of an area along the Ligurian Sea between Genoa and Portovenere and the towns (5 of them) are connected by train, boat, and hiking trails. The whole area was made a national park in 1999. The town of Vernazza only has about 500 residents, and unfortunately about 10 times as many tourists. 

The Cinque Terre or "The Five Lands" is composed of five villages: Monterosso al MareVernazzaCornigliaManarola, and Riomaggiore. The coastline, the five villages, and the surrounding hillsides are all part of the Cinque Terre National Park and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Over centuries, people have carefully built terraces on the rugged, steep landscape right up to the cliffs that overlook the sea. Part of its charm is the lack of visible "modern" development. Paths, trains and boats connect the villages, and cars cannot reach them from the outside. 

A walking trail, known as Sentiero Azzurro ("Light Blue Trail"), connects the five villages. The trail from Riomaggiore to Manarola is called the Via Dell'Amore.

All the towns slope down to sea-level except for Corniglia, which is perched on top of a tall cliff. Four of the towns possess an old-world charm (from North-to-South: Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola, Riomaggiore). The northern-most town, Monterosso, is completely different. It is very beachy-resorty, with not much to see beyond the boardwalk apart from modern apartment blocks and hotels—nothing like the narrow, crooked streets of the other towns, lined with colorful old houses stacked haphazardly on top of each other.
This is Monterosso in the photo below.
Laundry looks so good hanging out here in Italy!
This next photo is of Portovenere, which is just south of the 5 villages of the Cinque Terre. I took a boat ride to get to it, and spent the day there. 
And this last one is what the little village of Vernazza, where I stayed, looked like at night....bellissima!

Hope you enjoyed the tour. I still have a few more places to revisit here on the blog. 
If you missed Siena, you can see the post here.
If you missed Florence, you can see that post here.

Thanks so much for stoppin by......Sylvia
  Share

11 comments:

  1. I want to go so bad!

    Start saving for us both to go in the next few years. Or Greece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful place! Thanks Sylvia for sharing. I love the vivid colours and this dreamy look on this photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredibly beautiful place & very nicely shot!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even believe the beauty of this place. Oh, how I wish I could go!!

    ~Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, so beautiful! Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just arrived from Italy, Tuscany last Wednesday. I was there only one week for landscape photographing course, it was great and I have 1500 pictures:)
    Beautiful pictures you have from Italy.
    Greetings from Finland

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so impressed. U made such an amazing pics! and now the only one thought I hv in my head is...going to holiday as soon as possible!!!:) best Regards!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your work is incredibly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These images are so unbelievably beautiful, Silvia...you are so talented! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photography is incredible. I love all the happy colors!

    ReplyDelete