2.14.2011

Firenze :: a revisit::

 If you missed the first post on this trip, you can see Siena here.

Continuing along on a quick stop in Florence from my past trip!  Florence has had a long and eventful history, being a Roman city, the birthplace of the Italian Renaissance (or the "Florentine Renaissance"), and being considered as politically, economically, and culturally one of the most important cities in Europe and the world for around 250 years – from the 14th century to the 16th century.

For those of you interested in art, architecture, or  Renaissance history, Florence is a must! You'll find it busy, loud, crowded, inspiring and a sensory overload!! I only spent a few days here, and since my focus was on viewing galleries...I took much less in the way of scenic images that other places I visited. You also can't use your camera in the galleries (for the most part).

I had a few places on my "must see list". I started with Santa Croce to see the wall frescos of Giotto and the tomb of Michelangelo. Then to the Duomo, Baptistery, and Giotto's Bell tower. Of course no visit to Florence would be complete without seeing the Uffizi gallery located in the Piazza del Signoria and the Accademia which houses Michelangelo's David. I also loved the Ponte Vecchio with all the shops along the edges.

The streets are filled with people and Vespas, so beware crossing!

This first image was my view from the rooftop of the hotel I stayed in....amazing no? Right down the street to the Duomo and Belltower! And please bear in mind, that all these photos were taken with my point and shoot camera...the only thing I had at the time!

florence duomo


ponte vecchio



florence duomo

Thanks so much for stopping by......Sylvia Share

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictires Sylvia, I love your style, they looks like a paintings, great art!

    ReplyDelete