9.11.2010

Riding along on a carousel

 A little departure from the usual blog post material today.

I've always loved the sights and sounds (and smells) of fairs and amusement parks. From the time I was a kid and went to Geneva on the Lake on the shores of Lake Erie with my cousins, the lights and all the rides and arcades have fascinated me. I fell in love with pinball machines then too! I love all the neon lights, and still do. I think that's why I take so many photos at Seattle's Pike Place Market of all the neon signs...hum....an idea for a future post!
I just recently took a trip to San Francisco, and snapped a few photos of the carousel on the pier there. I wish I had taken a few more, but I decided to play with them and add some textures and try and make them look sort of vintage. This is what I came up with, I like the results...especially as a grouping.
I may end up adding these to my Etsy shop in the next few weeks, so keep an eye out if you're interested.






 this bottom is from the Seattle Center Fun Forest

A little bit I read about carousels:
A carousel (from French carrousel, from Italian carosello), or merry-go-round, is an amusement ride consisting of a rotating circular platform with seats for riders. The "seats" are traditionally in the form of rows of wooden horses or other animals mounted on posts, many of which are moved up and down via gearwork to simulate galloping, to the accompaniment of looped circus music. This leads to one of the alternative names, the galloper. Other popular names are roundabout and flying horses. Both "carousel" and "merry-go-round" are used in North America while the latter is usually used elsewhere and "roundabout" is quite common in the United Kingdom.
Modern carousels in America are generally populated with horses. Carousels in Europe, and in America from earlier periods, frequently include diverse varieties of mounts, like pigs, zebras, mythological creatures (such as dragons, sea monsters or unicorns), and deer, to name a few. Sometimes, chair or bench-like seats are used as well, and occasionally mounts can be shaped like airplanes or cars, though these do not always go up and down.

Although the carousel developed gradually in European countries such as Germany, France, England, and Italy, it did not reach its full scale development until it went into its American phase.The first carousel to be seen in the United States was created in Hessville, Ohio during the 1840s by Franz Wiesenhoffer. The first carousel at Coney Island was built in 1876 by Charles I. D. Looff, a Danish woodcarver.
The next time you get to ride a merry-go-round or carousel you’ll know that you’re part of a history that dates back to the Crusades, full of pageantry and beauty. You’ll be riding in the illustrious company of chivalrous knights like Sir Reginald and the masterful wood carvers who created this splendid way to have fun.

Read more about carousels here.

Thanks for stopping by......Sylvia Share

2 comments:

  1. Gosh, Sylvia, I love these SOOOOOO much. I have been a carousel and carousel horse fanatic for most of my life. I am fascinated by them and never tire of trying to get the perfect shot! Hubby and I freeze ourselves each winter down at Westlake Center as they have a lovely carousel there each year. You've done a perfect job with the textures on these to make them vintage and full of nostalgia and they are wonderful as a grouping.

    One more fun fact about carousels – in the US, they travel counter clockwise and in the UK they travel clockwise!

    Thanks for all this beauty!

    xo

    p. s. definitely put these in your shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful Sylvia!! They are almost like a window into a memory bank - conjuring up the excitement, colours and smells of childhood day out. Beautifully processed - but when do you do anything but??!! Hope all well - Boo xx

    ReplyDelete