3.12.2009

awakening

If you haven't figured it out yet. I have a "thing" for hydrangeas!
I have quite a few in my yard, and whenever I spot one in someone else's yard, my camera is ready!

The neat thing about them is all the color variations, not only from plant to plant but also depending on your soil. It is much easier to change a hydrangea from pink to blue than it is from blue to pink. Changing a hydrangea from pink to blue entails adding aluminum to the soil. Changing from blue to pink means subtracting aluminum from the soil or taking it out of reach of the hydrangea.

On the other hand, hydrangeas often change color on their own when they are planted or transplanted. They are adjusting to the new environment. It is not unusual to see several different colors on one shrub the next year after planting. And that is the key for me.....I have some plants with SO many variations of color it's amazing.

SO here's one of my faves, the delicate looking white one. This is actually one from my neighbor's yard, and I so do love that bush! This one dries beautifully too.

Many more different photos of hydrangeas to come in the future.
But it will soon be lilac season, and I can't wait for that!

2 comments:

  1. I love your hydrangeas! You always capture them with such elegance! Mine is the limelight variety, and I love it! And I can't wait for my white lilac to bloom! But I'm sure I'll see photos of yours before mine even wakes up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you have the same gardening cycle we do, but I just read that it's time for me to fertilize my hydrangeas with cottonseed! Keep up the good work Sylvia, I love your hydrangea shots!

    ReplyDelete